GPS NTP Server - Rack Edition
GPS NTP's most powerful NtpServer
- synchronise network devices local date and time to UTC
- clock time send through NTP
- connected to atomic cesium standard nist.datum.com over GPS satellite system
- rack 19" case is suitable to mount in server rooms
- GPS receiver is placed outdoor in waterproof case
Rack NtpServer - basic information
Server is dedicated to synchronise network devices local time/date to Universal Time (UTC)
Devices synchronizing own local time through the NTP protocol. (Network Time Protocol)
Time Server is connected to atomic cesium standard nist.datum.com over the GPS satellite system. The main electronics is placed in to the Rack 19" case, suitable to mount in server room.
GPS receiver and antenna are placed outdoor in waterproof case IP-65
Connection between GPS receiver and server is realized through the twisted pair cable.
Simple and easy to use device control with full ability to change all settings required to perform standard time operations
Readable display with green backlight always provides clear information about actual time clock
Full featured back panel with many additional connectors and plugs for extensive usage
Technical Specification for rack timeserver
- 10 Base T, RJ 45 connector
- 10 MBit
- RX polarity: automatic
- ICMP: implemented
- Gateway: implemented, user configurable
- DHCP: not allowed
- MAC address: configurable
- Ethernet mask: configurable
- WEB interface
- Built in WEB server for dynamic CGI WEB pages
- monitoring server status
- setup time server
- 4MBit dataflash
- NTP Protocol
- Built in NTP version 3.00
- security: NO
- Time stamp resolution: 13usec
- SNMP Protocol
- Built in only SNMP traps
- server produce and send SNMP traps to dedicated device,
- Messages Sent
- on every changes the number of satellites
- UTC fix changes
- GPS receiver failures
- Main processor
- RISC UBICOM IP2022
- 120 MHz / for Ethernet connectivity 10BaseT
External GPS Receiver
- GPS receiver specification
- External receiver with active antenna
- Powered from server
- Output protocol: ZODIAC Connexant
- Baudrate: 9600Bps
- PPS pulse: 1sec
- Power: 9..12V DC
- Current consumption: 300mA
- GPS processor
- Microchip RISC processor
- Frequency: 20 Mhz
- for GPS mesagges, PPS pulses, LCD, buttons serving
- max cable length: 200m
- - 1 twisted pair for zodiac data
- - 1 twisted pair for PPS pulse
- - 2 wire for power
- Time Accuracy
- UTC maximum error: 300 nsec (due to NTP time stamp resolution 13usec)
- device completed accuracy = 13usec
Real time clock
- Real Time Clock
- PHILIPS I2C
- powered from lithium CELL CR2430, User Replaceable
- Max Error: 10 ppm
- Rack NtpServer Reliability
- Two processors watchdog-ing state every 1sec
- BOR - Brown Out Reset
- POR - power on reset
- two internal independent watchdog timers
- Security of NtpServer
- User password to setup IP address
- SNMP strings, community name
- Working temperature ranges
- -25 .. 55°C
- 100 .. 250 V AC / 50Hz
- LCD 2x 16 chars
- Green BackLight
- Buttons on front panel
- Four buttons on front panel
- Button Types: SET, ESC, UP, DN
- for setup IP addresses
- Server Case
- 19" rack / 1U
- Depth: 110mm
Front panel of rack NtpServer
On the front panel, four buttons are mounted:
button caption button description SET enter current / selected menu UP, DN change menu items , or increase / decrease input values ESC cancel current input value or move to the main display with UTC Time / Date information
LED Type LED Description PPS LED
(PPS- Pulse Per Second) green LED is mounted and in 1sec interval flashing in accordance of reception the PPS signal from GPS receiver.
Otherwise GPS receiver is not connected. In this case server is in safe mode. The Message <PPS ERROR> is also displayed.
On the server safe mode, time / date is from built in Real Time Clock supported.
Blue LED is mounted and UTC Time/Date FIX status indicate.
Lightening continuously meaning that UTC time is fixed and highest precission is kept.
Configurating rack NtpServer
To change the current value of IP address, network mask, pressing the up/dn button choose appropriate value and by SET button it is possible to change current value.
Before value changes user will be asked to password. Set the password holding UP/DN button and confirm by SET.
Current password is delivered in documentation.
Only after the correct password user can change values.
Correct password is keeping in system in 5 minutes and next inputs in this time not required the password.
After the entering value LCD processor write data to internal EPROM and sends to Ethernet processor with message: Send to IP2K
MAC address consists of 6 bytes, but only 4 last bytes are possible to change. First 2bytes are: 000, 003
|Message Type||Message Description|
Message reported with beep failures on PPS signal from GPS receiver.
In this case check the cable to GPS receiver, check the fuse 500mA, mounted on back panel.
Note: without the PPS signal server is in the malfunction state.
|GPS DATA Error||
Message indicates the mismatch or missing the DATA from receiver.
Check cable and fuse described as PPS error.
|Send Setup Fail||
on power on reset state, LCD processor sends the current setup to Ethernet IP2K processor.
If the Ethernet processor did not confirm the values, this error message will occur.
Connectors for NtpServer
|Connector Name||Connector Description|
FUSE 500mA/T type is needed.
Protects GPS receiver power source in Time Server.
In cases when PPS pulse does not blink in 1sec interval check this FUSE as first step.
Application connector DSUB15 Female for additional purposes.
Contact your local vendor for description.
DSUB9 Female to connect the external GPS receiver.
See the picture for wiring with external receiver
10BaseT RJ45 connector for ethernet connectivity
Note: when connecting with a HUB or a SWITCH no crossed cable is needed
when connecting with a single PC directly, use Crossed cable
|LED colour||LED description|
|Red||Indicates Ethernet link activity, must be lightening on good connection.|
|Green||LED blinking in 1sec interval, means receiving datagrams from LCD processor.|
User will be navigated to network setup page after succesfully entering correct password for Time Server Maintenance
- Current values will be filled to the textboxes.
- Enter the 0.0.0.0 to GateWay textbox if the gateway is not used
- MAC address consists of last 4 bytes (last four numbers delimited with a dot), first bytes are: 000, 003 in this example MAC = 0.3.100.45.147.212
- After <submit> Time Server Reboots
- Rebooting TimeServer is needed to connect to Time Server with new values / connection parameters
- All values will be written to the DataFlash memory and to LCD processor EEPROM also